Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Importance of Separation

Once I saw a man on a bridge about to jump. I said, “Don’t do it!” He said, “Nobody loves me.” I said, “God loves you. Do you believe in God?”
He said, “Yes.” I said, “Are you a Christian or a Jew?” He said, “A Christian.”
I said, “Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?” He said, “Protestant.” I said, “Me, too!
What franchise?” He said, “Baptist.” I said, “Me, too!
Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?” He said, “Northern Baptist.” I said, “Me, too!
Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?”
He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist.” I said, “Me, too!
Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region.” I said,
“Me, too!”
Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912.”
I said, “Die, heretic!” And I pushed him over.”

3 comments:

Nicholas Myra said...

Hey John. I couldn't find a way to email you through this site, and your blogger profile is hidden. There has been a recent scandal in our Synod, and I have posted the info and sources concerning it at my blog:

http://peelingbackthecurtain.blogspot.com/2013/11/darwin-schauer-ex-lcms-pastor-and.html

John said...

That's a disturbing account, Nicholas. It's hard to see ecclesiastical authority exercise such complete lack of wisdom.

Nicholas Myra said...

Exactly. And I feel that the relative lack of notice of this story (both within and without the Synod) could lead to the repeating of such things in the future. And BJS's deletion of Rev. Kirchner's posts may well have been at the request of someone in St. Louis.

If enough LCMS laity were aware of this scandal, perhaps enough pressure could be applied to denominational leadership to prevent such things from being repeated.